It’s summertime and it means kids are out of school. If you are looking for ways to keep craft time with your children simple and fun I have put together 10 Tips for Peaceful Crafting!
- Find the craft the kids want to make and then make a list of all the supplies you will need to make the craft. I have found that sometimes taking my kids to the store with me is a lot easier in trying to figure out what kind of craft to do.
- If you do not have everything on hand create your shopping list so you will not forget them.
- Put a plastic table cloth down where you will be crafting. Kids are messy and even us adults can get quite into it and create some chaos.
- Have all supplies laid out before you announce craft time to your kids. While this is a good moment to teach patience you want to keep your own stress level in mind.
- Use non-toxic paints, glues, etc. The thing about kids is they are explorers and may get curious about what all the craft supplies taste like.
- Have wet wipes and paper towels handy for spills. The more prepared you are for the expected mess, the easier it is to deal with it.
- Always try to have extra supplies – whether things get broken, torn or everyone wants to make more than one of the craft it will keep things calm.
- Let them wear old clothes so you will not be stressed out over ruining what they are wearing.
- Show the kids how to do the craft but let them do it in their own way. Let go of perfection and control and allow the kids to think for themselves and teach them whatever they create and whatever it looks like is actually pretty damn perfect. Sometimes little hands need help but you know you have gone too far when you are the only one left at the craft table.
- Have fun! Don’t worry about a little paint on their hands & faces, take pictures instead. And participate, make your own craft right alongside them!
I hope you will try these 10 Tips for Peaceful Crafting for stress-free craft time with your children. Show them how to have fun!